Our heritage - De Nederlanden and De Nationale
NN Investment Partners is the asset manager of NN Group, a Dutch financial corporation listed on Euronext Amsterdam. We are an investment company with a global view, a keen eye for new opportunities and a proven track record of putting clients first. Although financial markets are complex, our main focus is simple: partnering with our clients to achieve their financial targets.
With the Netherlands as our main investment hub, we offer our products and services through regional centres in countries across Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.
Our successful history of client-focused asset management extends back to 1845 and reflects our roots as a Dutch insurer and bank.
- In 1932 two leading Dutch insurers – De Nederlanden (founded in 1845) and De Nationale (1863) – entered into an alliance, ultimately resulting in a merger three decades later. Nationale Nederlanden (NN) was born and adopted its now-familiar ‘N’ logo.
- By the end of the 1980s Nationale Nederlanden was one of the largest insurance companies in the Netherlands, having an extensive international presence and the ambition to offer a complete spectrum of financial services.
- To fulfil that ambition, the firm joined forces with NMB Postbank in 1991, giving birth to Internationale Nederlanden Groep, better known today as ING.
- ING Investment Management, the predecessor of NN Investment Partners, was created in 1994 as the asset manager for both the bank and the insurance company. Within ten years it had grown to be one of the world’s leading asset managers.
- During the 2008 credit crisis, ING sought financial support from the Dutch government. As a result the company was required to divest its insurance and asset management divisions. NN Group, the combination of the two divisions, was listed on Euronext Amsterdam in 2014, bringing asset management, banking and insurance under one roof.
- In 2015 the asset management activities were rebranded as NN Investment Partners (NN IP), highlighting one of the most important aspects of our DNA: partnership.
We see change as an opportunity
Continuously changing market conditions, shifting client needs and ever-tightening regulations offer opportunities to deliver value. NN IP embraces new insights and innovations to meet the constantly evolving demands and needs of our customers. We aim to stay at the forefront of the asset management business, as we have done since our early days:
- In 1993, we became one of the first asset managers to launch a dedicated Emerging Market Debt strategy.
- As one of the first signatories to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investing, NN IP introduced the Global Sustainable Equity fund in 2000 and the European Sustainable Equity strategy in 2005. In 2016 we broadened our sustainable offering with the launch of a cutting-edge impact investing strategy.
- Based in the Netherlands, one of the world’s most sophisticated pension markets, NN IP has consistently shared its extensive home market pension expertise with its clients in countries and regions such as Japan and Latin America.
- As the world continues to change and people take increasing responsibility for their own financial future, NN IP has further developed its offering by launching funds specifically tailored to the retail consumer and pension market.
- We steadily grew our distribution reach through some of the world’s largest retail and private banks and through NN IP's own direct distribution platforms. Our online investment platform FitVermogen.nl offers need-based, low-cost solutions for retail and corporate clients.
Our commitment to partnership
Three words summarise the core values at the base of our expertise and extensive experience in asset management: care, clear, commit. We care for people and the world we live in. We communicate proactively and honestly in clear language. We are committed to act with integrity and do business with the future in mind.
NN IP cooperates closely with private individuals, pension funds, insurers, family offices, independent financial advisers and banks to achieve their financial goals. Our clients expect the best service we can provide them. We strongly believe that we can do so by engaging in continuous dialogue, being a true partner for our clients and making their challenges our challenges. NN IP is committed to cooperation, co-development and alignment of our interests with all stakeholders. We therefore provide a wide range of products and solutions, including:
- A broad array of fixed income, equity and multi-asset capabilities;
- Customized solutions tailored to specific client needs, including localized mutual funds and segregated accounts;
- Tailored insurance strategies and pension solutions for individuals and companies such as ‘Mijn Pensioen’ and ‘Essentie Pensioen’;
- Fiduciary services and balance sheet management;
- Manager selection, portfolio construction and monitoring through our subsidiary Altis;
- Direct execution solutions for private investors such as FitVermogen.nl in the Netherlands and similar platforms in Poland and the Czech Republic.
Being a partner means different things to different people. Some look for deep economic insight; others want simplicity in the complex world of finance. NN IP helps to educate and empower by demystifying, clarifying, providing fit-for-purpose solutions, and committing to a long-term partnership.